Moving SCCM to a New Server
There may come a time where you need to move you SCCM environment to a new server. This will help make that process as possible.
When needing to move SCCM to new hardware you must remember:
- The side code cannot be renamed without uninstalling SCCM and reinstalling or standing up a new SCCM server (side-by-Side) migration.
- You must keep the same server name as the existing SCCM server.
- You must also keep the same drive structure as the existing SCCM server.
So what are the steps you need to take?
- Backup the site settings and database of the SCCM Server
- Backup local folders (if any) used for package sources: (source folder, drivers folder…etc). Make a note of the permissions as well.
Decommission the SCCM Server and remove from the domain.
- Note: Name, IP, site code, installation path,
Build the new server with the information from step 3.
- Install and configure all SCCM prerequisites
- If SQL was local before Install the same SQL version and any updates
- Install SCCM 2007 to the same patch level, directory, site code from the old SCCM server
- Restore folders used for SCCM (Sources, drivers, packages, and set permissions
- Restore the SCCM database from the old server using the Site repair wizard
- Resolve any errors under the site status.
I hope this blog helps you with your transition